BaddaBlog

Monday, January 04, 2010

What's Wrong With a Little Cold?

Nothing... that's what's wrong with it.

That's why we have socks... multiple layers of socks, if you like. Not to mention undershirts, long underwear, gloves, hats, scarves, ear muffs, jackets, and fires.

I can't handle the sharp, fierce wind, though. But other than that, a little cold ain't so bad.

My son took to it very well so he could try skating. He wasn't frustrated at repeatedly falling down... in fact, he rather enjoyed slipping on his ass. He also learned to get up quite well, as well as shuffle along on skates. Me? Oh, no. Not yet, anyway. I didn't have the right clothes, much less skates... but soon I'll take to the ice.

This reminds me of my only attempt at ice skating. You'd think a kid who grew up in the state of Minnesota would have at least given it more than one try. I was within fifteen miles of the spot where the boy was falling on his can... some thirty-three or maybe thirty-five years before. I was very discouraged at not being able to consistently get on my feet, much less balance, and I gave up. In fact, I started digging the back of my skate into the ice like a pain in the ass.

All I wanted was a cup of hot chocolate, and perhaps to be home in front of the television. Not that anything was on.

Maybe a little cross country skiing this coming weekend, if not an attempt on the rink.