BaddaBlog

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Music of Your Life

From Berg's corner of the universe I found one of those meme things that I don't usually take the time to fill out. However, this caught my attention and got me thinking straight away.

  1. What’s your favorite song about growing up?
  2. Probably "New World Man" by Rush. Strictly speaking it isn't a song about growing up, but it always makes me think about the follies of youth (and mine in particular) as well as potential.

    I also think of a little known song ("Don't Wait for Heroes") from Dennis DeYoung's first solo album with the lyric, "Winners are losers that got up and gave it just one more try".

  3. What’s your favorite song about cars or driving?
  4. Flash mentions "Red Barchetta" (also from Rush) in Berg's comment section. I'm going to second that... the music of Rush made a big impact on my youth for one reason or another.

    I'm also reminded of a song about a WW II fighter pilot... "Aces High" by Iron Maiden. A healthy dose of speed, adrenaline, drive, and "do or die" from the rhythm section (Nicko McBrain and Steve "'Arry" Harris"). It's great on the album, but hearing it (recorded) live with the recording of Sir Winston Churchill's "We shall never surrender" speech.

  5. What’s your favorite song whose title is a person’s name?
  6. Maybe "Buck's Boogie"... typically played live by Blue Öyster Cult, although a studio version of the song was released on the remastered version of their Tyranny and Mutation album. The song has no lyrics, and it needs none. Then again "The Revenge of Vera Gemini" and "Joan Crawford", also by BÖC, rank high for me.

  7. What’s your favorite get-up-and-dance song?
  8. This really is a toss up, and also belies the era of my youth... "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" by Dead or Alive, something from Duran Duran, something from Prince, or even (wince) "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" by Wang Chung.

  9. What’s your favorite novelty song?
  10. As I mentioned in Mitch's comment section I have to narrow it down between Weird Al (who has several great novelty songs) with "Dare to be Stupid", Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper with "Elvis is Everywhere", and Jump n' the Saddle with "The Curly Shuffle". Tough call... they are all great.

    Iron Maiden made a few novelty songs of their own on various B-sides... "The Sheriff of Huddersfield" being their best. It was more of an in-joke on their manager at Sanctuary, Rod Smallwood, and his move to (and from) Los Angeles, California. Somehow they kept it secret from Rodney and unveiled it at some party for the album's release.
For alternative answers, I'll just engage the Sinatra Circuits:
[Old School mode]
  1. What’s your favorite song about growing up? Sinatra's version of "It Was a Very Good Year". Possibly the Tony Bennett version of "One for My Baby (and One More for the Road)"... if you can call it a song about growing up. It is more of a song about learning about women from the school of hard knocks.
  2. What’s your favorite song about cars or driving?
  3. "Come Fly With Me" or perhaps "Mustang Sally".

  4. What’s your favorite song whose title is a person’s name?
  5. "Mustang Sally" again... and that version in "The Commitments" is damn good.

  6. What’s your favorite get-up-and-dance song?
  7. Without a doubt, should my wife and I hear "Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong we immediate get up and dance. Obviously, not a dance party song, but we love it. I should have put this song on the list above. Maybe Irving Berlin's "Steppin' Out With My Baby" or "Cheek to Cheek" by Tony Bennett.

  8. What’s your favorite novelty song?
  9. Dean Martin singing "I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine" (with the follow-up line "I do my drinking in the evening time when I'm in Las Vegas" as well as additional parody lyrics), Cole Porter's "I Love Paris" as I Love Vegas, and "Pennies From Heaven" as "Bourbon From Heaven".
[/Sinatra mode]