BaddaBlog

Monday, January 21, 2008

No Cash, Please... We're Jerks

Apparently, a tech store in Boise, Idaho refused to accept cash for a big purchase... I'm also left with the impression that the clerk, manager, and security guard were not very polite about the story policy. Of course, I might be mistaken.

The customer got a call back from the store's corporate office to explain that the policy was not company-wide:
...31 U.S.C. 5103 says that cash is legal tender for all debts, public and private. Creditors can't refuse cash.

The individual store may refuse cash, though. Of course, that's probably not a great idea. Certainly, it might not be worth maintaining the policy at all costs.

The corporate guy also apologized and assured the customer that cash would work out for the purchase. When the customer calls the store back to make certain that the items were still in stock...
...after I asked the guy about them he said, "I know who you are, [you're] the guy that wanted to pay cash. My district manager & corporate called me and read me the riot act over this. Thanks for getting me in trouble!"

He then hung up on me!

You probably know the name of the store... but you won't have much of an opportunity to shop there much.