BaddaBlog

Friday, February 23, 2007

Oscars... What Oscars?

Perhaps I spend most of my time with my son. Perhaps I spend more attention on my wife. Perhaps we’re spending more thought on new property. Perhaps I’m spending more time watching new television shows like Rome, Battlestar Galactica, Resuce Me, and Doctor Who. Perhaps I’m spending more time watching classic television shows like Columbo, Twilight Zone… and Doctor Who. ;)

It couldn’t have anything to do with the lack of movies that interest me and some of the jackassiest actors continuing to increase their jackassary. Could it?

I don’t even know what is out. I know I missed “For Your Consideration” and that I’ll grab it on DVD. “The Queen” came highly recommended, so that’s going to be a Netflix grab when possible. My mother speaks highly of “Little Miss Sunshine” and will loan it to me any time we have a couple of hours. I also hear that “Dreamgirls” is infectiously fun and entertaining. Knowing very little about “The Illusionist” the three musketeers are planning on getting together to catch that… with our without our wives.

I’ve seen “Cars”… more times than I have seen “Toy Story 2”. And I saw “Black Dahlia” in the theater… with some mixed feelings (especially about the lack-luster no-talent actor playing the lead).

However, for all the praise for Scorsese’s “The Departed” I’ve lost enthusiasm…much like my lost enthusiasm to watch “Gangs of New York”. I’ll see them both sometime, but they aren’t on my calendar.

Peter O’Toole might get an award out of Academy guilt. I’ve mentioned his career before… the man was nominated for his performances in some of the best films in cinema history:
“Lawrence of Arabia”, “Becket”, “The Lion in Winter”, “Goodbye, Mr. Chips”, “The Ruling Class”, “The Stunt Man”, and “My Favorite Year”.

Any actor would be glad to end his career on one of those films… and I believe Lawrence was his first film! And don’t forget, “My Favorite Year” came out twenty-five years ago!!!

My only interest in this year’s awards essentially rests upon him. If he doesn’t get it… then he continues to get no credit. If he gets it… then it is for any of his many great performances over the years in film. He already has the distinct “honor” of having more great performances and roles than many actors have Oscars.

The Oscar is such an over-rated honor anymore. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again… what films do people remember? What films were remembered by folks in the 50s? The 70s? The 90s? In ten, twenty, or thirty years from today? “Titanic”??? I don’t think so. “The Shawshank Redemption”? If there’s any justice in the entertainment world, yes.

I'm just going to be a different kind of geek on Sunday... I'm playing D&D. ;)

Labels: , ,